When we moved in, the shower curtain rod consisted of a homemade-looking D-shaped contraption. A simple shower curtain rod won’t work, and the unusual placement of our clawfoot tub (with a long side, rather than an end, facing the wall) precluded the use of many traditional clawfoot shower enclosures.
We used JB Weld at the corner joints and hammered the conduit in until it flattened a bit while drying.
Screwing the rod into ceiling joists while holding it up was difficult, but with two people and two stepladders proved manageable. I do have some found objects I’d like to eventually use in place of the flanges, but for now, I’m happy that the gold colors match the brass 1920s light fixture, the claw feet on the tub, and the toilet! Although our shower curtain rod is still homemade, hopefully it looks less so than the previous version, and at least it blends in a bit more.